What, Who & Why?
What is Solo Studies?
The Solo Studies program features one-on-one instruction in on piano, violin, viola, cello, guitar or voice with an experienced faculty member who can provide instruction and motivation for your child.
If your student is age 5 or above, this program is an excellent starting point for a personalized introduction to the CYM experience.
Students meet weekly with their instructor and can perform regularly at school and outreach concerts and join with friends through our Workshops and Activities program.
This program meets weekly for eleven months of the year with breaks at holidays, and comprises:
- A weekly 30, 45, or 60 minute private lesson on the student’s chosen instrument— piano, violin, viola, cello, guitar, and voice.
Numerous opportunities to perform at CYM concerts and participation in the Workshop & Activities Program.
Who teaches my child’s lesson?
CYM’s highly trained faculty teaches the Solo Studies lessons. You may read more about our faculty here.
Why take a private lesson?
The purpose of a private lesson is to teach the technical skills necessary to discover a students’ unique “voice” through instrumental or vocal expression. Combining the technical skills needed to play an instrument or sing while developing a student’s musicality through performance is a challenging and exciting journey. Focused time spent with CYM instructors is necessary to achieving this goal. Students use a portion of the lesson to study music theory to prepare a solid foundation for a life-long love of music.
- 30 or 45 minute lesson for beginner.
- 45 or 60 minute lesson for intermediate
When & How?
When do we register for this program?
- Entry into a private lesson is encouraged year-round.
- Students can join CYM’s Solo Studies Program and add a group class if desired. Parents work with our admissions staff to find the right fit for the student.
How do we register for this program?
- Current class availability by can be found by entering your information into our FORM.
- After submitting a completed online registration, a member of our Admissions team will contact you to confirm your child’s schedule and supply welcome materials and an enrollment E-form.
Is this program the right one for me?
Good starting point for your child if:
- You are new to CYM and your child is between 5-17 years of age.
- You have a good idea which instrument your child would like to play, or you would like to experiment with one of the instruments to see if it’s a good fit.
Instrument Rental Available
Get one month free on any new instrument rental when signing up or renewing any annual program.Learn More About Our Instrument Rental Program